Step by step instructions - calico installation under windows xp
From IPRE Wiki
Revision as of 20:08, 9 August 2011 by Jenniekay
Step by Step Guide to Installing Calico (Windows XP SP2/SP3)
- Confirm that you have administrative rights in windows XP
- Download and Install Mono
- Download and Install Calico
- (Possibly) Edit the StartCalico.bat file
- Run Calico to confirm it works!!
Confirm that you have administrative rights in Windows XP
- Log on to your PC as you would normally
- Right-click on the start button (make sure you use the right mouse button!)
- Look at the list of options that appear (the picture below is from my computer. You may have some different items on your list)
- If you have the "Open All Users" and "Explore All Users" options, then you DO have administrative rights
- If you do not have both of these options, then you DO NOT have administrative rights. You will not be able to continue with the software installation from this account. Contact your system administrator.
Download and Install Mono
- Download Mono 2.6.7 for Windows
- Save the file somewhere on your hard drive
- Close down other applications open on your machine
- Run the mono-2.6.7-gtksharp-2.12.10-win32-2.exe file you just saved by double clicking on it.
- If you get a security warning like the one pictured below, don't worry, you can run it.
- You should get the Mono 2.6.7 Welcome screen shown below. Click on the "next" button as shown below
- Now accept the agreement and click on next as shown below
- Now, feel free to read the important information, but even if you don't, be sure to click on the Next button
- Now you need to select where mono should be installed. Generally the best thing to do if you don't know what you are doing is to just let the system install it for you where it wants to. But it is VERY IMPORTANT that you make a note of where it is installed. Get out a pencil and write it down for later!!!!
- When asked to select which components should be installed, don't change anything, just click on the "next" button
- You can select a start menu folder if you wish, but might as well just leave it alone and click on "next"
- Just accept the default port, and click on "next"
- Hooray, it's time to click on the "Install" Button
- Watch as mono is installed. Finally, click on the "Finish" button.
Download and Install Calico
- First, download and save the newest zip file: myro.roboteducation.org/~dblank/download
- The day I happened to make this tutorial, the latest one was called Calico-0.5.9.zip, but yours will probably have a bigger and better number
- Be sure to save this somewhere on your hard drive. I chose to save mine to D:\temp but you can put yours where ever you like.
- Next, use my computer to find the file that you saved. Select the file by right-clicking it, and choose "extract all"
- The Compressed (zipped) Folders Extraction Wizard should appear. Click on the "next" button
- Now you need to select a Destination to extract the files to. For this step I recommend that you put the files somewhere special and don't necessarily just go with the default. What's my definition of special? Well, some of that is your choice, but I suggest that you put it in a similar place to your mono files. You did write down where you put them, right? If not, time to hunt around on my computer ...
- Click on the browse button on the extraction wizard
- Probably, you put your mono files in one of two common places
- If you put your mono files into C:\Program Files\Mono-2.6.7 (like I did), then select C:\Program Files as shown below.
- After you select C:\Program Files and click OK, you should see the new location C:\Program Files listed as the destination, as shown below
- Now, click in the text box that says "C:\Program Files" right after the "s" in the word "Files", and add \Calico (as shown below), and then click on the "next" button
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Mono-2.6.7